Pearshaped

Pearshaped

Translate

Friday 7 July 2017

Those were the days…...

…or were they?
My parents used to save for a week's holiday each year when my brother and I were children. We always went to the East coast, usually in Lincolnshire and sometimes in Yorkshire - at least until I was about eleven - from then we used to go to Great Yarmouth each year (with the exception of one, when we travelled across the Pennines to Blackpool for the rainiest of holidays we ever had!)
The attraction was the entertainment - it was the beginning of the pop era and the time of family entertainment shows and Great Yarmouth had something for every night of the week!
At that time most big seaside resorts in England had an outdoor entertainment area too - at Great Yarmouth it was the Marina!
I was reminded of this a few weeks ago when the front cover of an Artfund catalogue had an image on the front that I just knew I would use!

It was taken by Tony Ray-Jones who died when he was only 31 years old. He made a photographic record of England at Leisure in the 60's. I hope to go and see more of his work in the School holidays with our grandchildren!
My Mum and Dad liked this place a lot - I think it was quite inexpensive to get in and they put on a variety of events, some were not at all the kind of thing pre-teens/teens would enjoy - organ playing, sing-a-longs, beauty contests…you get the picture! We used to long for the evenings when pop stars would entertain us all!
My page started with a streakily brushed page using blue and white paint - sorry can't remember which paints I used! 
I stamped some seagulls and coloured them with a sharpie pen and added some ink through a stencil plus a little bit of white paint spattering. The sun was stamped onto deli paper and painted on the back.
I found the beauty contest photo on the internet, not sure which town it was in though. 
The papers to mount the photos and the deck chairs were from a freebie booklet of papers that came with a magazine - there were only three chairs so I cut them to make a row!
The 'sea' was some left over in my scrap box - added some white pen and a stamped sign to show where my brother and I would rather have been! There is also a time bit of splattery tissue there too!

This is of course for Art Journal Journey's theme Summertime Love - Elizabeth's brilliant choice this month!
As I was looking at this I changed my mind about my choice of words and switched them around! 

Thanks for looking, Chris


17 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful memory you have conjured up, Chris. The more I learn about summertime activities, the more I appreciate your wonderful page. It features so many things I'm learning about, like the fun photo you shared of the Marina. Of course, your page is perfect with the beach babes vying for a trophy. I adore this. Thanks for sharing it at Art Journal Journey today. It's an awesome entry and the background is yummy, too.

chrissie said...

Fabulous post and page Chris.i We went to Yarmouth in 1957 and it was the usual all dressed up in our best clothes and men in ties and shirts as on your picture I sneaked away one night and went to see Lonnie Donnegan. I got into trouble but well worth it I thought. Great that you brought back a memory long forgotten. Thankyou.

Love Chrissie

froebelsternchen said...

I really adore your fun page and the personal stroy to it Chris! Super!
I'm so grateful for your continued support of our Art Journal Journey Challenge!
Happy weekend!
oxo Susi

Helen said...

LOL at your holiday memories! we always went self catering (so no holiday for Mum!) in a converted railway carriage; on the stony beach of Pagham-(West Sussex, south coast) - where Mum and Dad eventually retired to... not much fun for the kids then - or now - as we didn't frequent the "arcade" with slot machines lol! but they were fun... and usually dry, as far as I remember!
great page, by the way, before I forget!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, holidays then were really different! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

FUN FUN Fun page! I love the photo and the story about the seaside holiday too! Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

I think those were the days, definately times to treasure and it's lovely of you to share them too! Your page is such fun and you put all the elements together beautifully to create a page full of smiles! 😎 Wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Chris, love the image - can u imagine going to the beach in a suit and tie now!
Avril xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic page Chris. I am on a memory trip after reading it, sea side holidays were the best when we were kids as well.
Yvonne xx

Zue said...

It's good to reminisce about childhood holidays. I think they have a formative effect and you never forget those times.
Whereas you visited the east coast, we as children, holidayed in north Wales.

Lots of good memories!

Isn't it hot?
Oxfordshire has become an oven.
It was so sticky here today and the heat made me feel quite sick.

I don't remember such hot days when I was a child.

Thanks for your comment Chris.
X

Brenda Brown said...

Lots of fun images and memories. We used to go to the east coast, always a place called Happisburgh I seem to remember xxx

Dortesjs said...

Absolutely adore your journal page..great photo to

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Journal page!!
The holiday was formerly different whether in swimwear or otherwise, great in sezene set!
Happy weekend
Elke

craftytrog said...

I love your page Chris, and that funny image! Certainly brings back memories!
Alison xxx

Rita said...

Great memories! He really deserved the amazing page you made for him--LOL!! :)

rachel said...

brilliant page Chris - I love the photos you used! So lovely to meet you today - its good to know there are people not very far away that are as crazy about craft as me!!! Big hugs and I hope we will meet again! xx

Gibby Frogett said...

Fabulous page and post Chris.. love all the imagery and details.
I could almost smell the candyfloss and fish and chips and sea food.. I was going to say hear the seagulls but I live in Clacton on Sea so of course I will hear those anyway ha ha
Have a great week...
Gill xx